Monday 16 March 2015

Rainbow Cake, Bitches!

As a 26 year old adult you'd think I'd be mature, responsible, and sensible. You know, all those things we associate with actual adults.

Well, I'm not really. I mean, I can be, and I'm sure if you ask my family and friends, they'll tell you I'm one of the most mature people my age. But really, I like fat rhinos (you may call them unicorns), sleeping in half the morning, and glitter.

So this past Friday night, we had a few people over to celebrate my boyfriend Justins birthday, and I was tasked with making the cake. Now, I love baking, but when it comes to deciding what to bake, I'm a mess! I always opt for cookies, because they're pretty much my signature baked good. Either that or cupcakes.

Even though I was stuck at work until nearly half 5, and was running behind, I thought that for once, I would go out of my comfort zone and try something different.

Rainbow cake.

Yup, a cake, made from rainbows. Might I add, rainbows are elusive creatures, and can be very hard to catch. Here is my final result! 


Getting this beautiful, arty cake of perfection was no easy feat, so I felt it necessary to share my pain triumph with all of you. 

Enjoy.


There was so much cake mix, it nearly overflowed my mixing bowl! I hadn't realised that cooking two cakes at the same time, would make so much batter! I mean I probably should have, but I didn't. So shoot me.


Once I had batter ready, I portioned it out into 5 bowls, to colour the 5 colours of my rainbow. Note to self, wear gloves when handling food dye. Even double glove it, you can never be too careful.


Now came the sorting of the rainbow candy. I bought family sized share bags of M&M's and Smarties, and got to work. Being a little, shall we call it, pedantic, I thought it best to separate all of the colours, not just the ones I needed. 

This is my 'Why the hell did I do this?' face.


But never mind, I'm not one to give up. Even though I wanted to. My arms were cramping, my legs ached from standing in the same spot, I was seeing coloured dots everywhere I looked. But I made it through, I separated all of those damn coloured chocolate pieces of hell.



Now that is a vision of beauty. Say otherwise, I dare you.

Anyway, while I had been dying sorting, I had the cakes in the oven baking away nicely. The recipe stated I needed to have two tins the same size. Do you think I have 2 of any of my baking things the same size? No. Oh well, odd sized tins it was! 


Pretty impressive huh!

So while they were cooling, I thought it best to start on the butter cream icing. I've decided to rename butter cream icing, to sugary death icing. Seriously, to cover my cakes, I needed 500gm of butter, and 6 cups of icing sugar. 6 CUPS. Are you kidding me?  


I could not believe how much 6 cups was. I mean, of course I knew but I didn't really know. If you know what I mean. I spent the next half an hour adding the sugar to the butter and making sure it had all mixed through, while I cleaned the kitchen and prepped for the guests. 

Come 8:30pm, everyone but Justin had arrived and we were all mingling and enjoying ourselves. Until I realised I still hadn't wrapped Justins present or iced the cake. 

A quick dash to the spare room to grab some wrapping paper, and I had his presents wrapped in record time. Not as neat as usual, but I was on a time limit, Justin was going to be home any minute!

Just as I had hidden his gift, in he walked, happy as Larry, and none the wiser. Except now he would see his super-awesome-ultra-fantastic-I'm-the-best-girlfriend-ever cake before it was iced. I couldn't have that happen, so I hid around the corner of the kitchen and fixed it up as quick as I could. 

Then, ta da!


But I couldn't sigh a sigh of relief just let, had to make sure the inside cake rainbow-ness had worked! After lighting some candles and signing the usual happy birthday, it was cake cutting time!


Well would you look at that, it worked.

*looks dreamily at delicious and perfect rainbow cake*

And yes, I know there are more than 5 colours in the rainbow, but you try making this and tell me how easy it is with 12 colours. 

I was pretty impressed with my cake, hence sharing it here with all of you.

Much love & rainbow cake crumbs,

J xx

No comments:

Post a Comment