Thursday 15 August 2013

Old Dog, New Tricks

We all know the saying, but has anyone ever actually tried to teach and old dog new tricks?

I have. I'm currently trying to teach my mum how to use her new laptop. Not to say that my mum is an old dog, but you get the drift. 

My mum grew up in an era where men were accountants and women were hairdressers. All she wanted to be when she grew up was a hairdresser, so why ever learn computers? They didn't really hit it big until the 80's, and even then they were big, chunky, and slow (compared to modern technology). 

So my brother has just helped her buy a new Lenovo laptop, organise the wifi, and help her get started with accounts and passwords. Now it's my job to teach her the ins and outs of how to use it.

The only thing is, she doesn't want to learn. It's all so complicated and scary. I can understand why she's hesitant about it, I think she see's me using it and thinks she'll never understand it. I normally love teaching people things (can you guess what I wanted to be when I was a kid?), but mum is just so frustrating. I think she could really enjoy having a laptop, but it's getting over the hurdle of teaching her the basics. 
So far she knows how to turn it on (yay!) and how to check her email. She's still a little hesitant on how to check her online banking, but we're getting there.

I really wish she had been given the same opportunities that I had when I was a kid, but different generations, meant different standards.

Oh well, I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

Wish me luck!

Jayde xx

No comments:

Post a Comment