Sunday 1 September 2013

WTM: Retro Hunting

It was 1:30pm, the sun was shining, the birds were singing and I was hunting for the perfect retro gem. I didn't know exactly what I was looking for, but I would know when I saw it.

*Please note: you're in for a bit of a read, so feel free to grab a glass of wine and relax :)*

Walking down Smith Street, on my way to L&F, I stumbled across a lovely little store:

The Virtual Goddess
306 Smith Street, Collingwood
0438 989 834
www.thevirtualgoddess.com
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Virtual-Goddess

A cute little store, with trinkets and outfits for the retro queen in all of us. A lovely collection of vintage inspired cards and envelopes. They also have a lingerie section in the rear of the store, with a great selection of beautiful bras and knickers. At the front of the store they also have some lovely vintage kids toys still in boxes, and some replicas as well. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any photos, so I've grabbed some from their website. 





Lost & Found Market
1-5 Perry Street, Collingwood
9419 4477
http://www.lostandfoundmarket.com.au/
www.facebook.com/lostfoundmarket

I have never felt so at home in a store! The L&F is a collection of several permanent stall holders, all selling the most stunning items from eras long past. There are mens leather jackets, womens shoes, scarves, hats, jewellery, some amazing furniture, and knick knacks. It's two levels, and you end up walking in a large circle, but I could happily get lost in there for hours. There are racks upon racks of the most delightful vintage dresses from the 30's, 40's and 50's, as well as amazing retro outfits from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I happily went home with a vintage American bandana with the sweetest love hearts on it! I also happened upon Ms Kitty Vintage's stall (stall 38), which was filled with animal horns, clocks, and postcards (among other things of course), you can also look her up on Facebook, www.facebook.com/MsKittyVintage .
*N.B* There is also The Lost Weekend Vinatage Market, and I went down to East Brunswick trying to find it, but came up empty :(


A huge collection of Simpsons memorabilia!



Who doesn't love some peacock feathers?

This is such a sweet little corner

The Aquatic Vintage

Oh heavenly leopard print!

Stunning glasswares


One of the most amazing umbrella's I have ever seen, and only $25!

The Lovely Ms Kitty Vintage

Retrostar Vintage Clothing
First Floor, Nicholas Building
37 Swanston St (Cnr Flinders Lane), Melbourne
9663 1223
www.retrostar.com.au

It look me a little while to find Retrostar, because Flinders Lane isn't signed very well, but after a chat with a lovely fruit stall holder, I walked into one of the largest retro and vintage stores in Victoria. To be honest with you, I wasn't all that impressed. I love rifling through hair accessories and jewellery, but when I looked at their selection, everything was brand new and made in China. Not wanting to be completely put off, I moved past that section, and went looking at the dresses. Now this is what I'm talking about! The dresses are delightful! I didn't find one reproduction (not that I saw anyway), and they do have a very large selection. I went and had a look at another section of the store called "Retro Rock", which is filled with Americana styled items, including some great jackets, boots and belt buckles. Unfortunately, I also found many replicates and modern styled items, like sunglasses and jewellery. 
All in all it's not a bad store, I just wish the staff were nicer and more attentive, and they didn't play rubbish trance music.







Out Of The Closet - New & Vintage Clothing
238B Flinders Street, Melbourne
9639 0980
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Out-Of-The-Closet-new-and-vintage-clothing/199853713366271
InstaGram: @otcvintage

I stumbled across this store while walking back to my car, and by gosh am I glad I found them! This is a little gem of a store! They have all the head scarves you could ask for, as well as some amazing evening gowns. I went in search for some new additions to my coat rack, and left with two beautiful scarves. The staff were so helpful, and they even have a costume section!



The costume section




If you like what you see above, but would like some more ideas, please head to:
Vintage Shops Australia
www.vintageshops.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/vintageshopsaustralia


For stores in Melbourne:

Melbourne Vintage Clearance Centre (Pop Up Store)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Melbournes-Vintage-Clearance-Centre

Minette's Vintage
https://www.facebook.com/MinettesVintage
376 Burnley Street, Richmond
9421 1884

Olivia Marcheline
https://www.facebook.com/oliviamarchelinefanpage
20 Collins Street, Melbourne
0403 503 577


For Online Stores:

That Retro Piece
http://ThatRetroPiece.etsy.com

Nouveau Retro
www.nouveauretro.com.au

Vintage & Nostalgia Co
www.vintagenostalgia.com.au


Hope you enjoyed reading! Stay tuned for some photos of my vintage finds!

Love always, 

Jayde xx

No comments:

Post a Comment