Saturday 4 January 2014

Challenge 2014 - Week One - Mac n Cheese

Week One - Mac n Cheese

Alrighty, so we started week one off with a cheesy bang! I wanted something simple to try. Something that I had eaten before, but not made. I figured if I had eaten it before, it meant I had something to compare it to. 

Ingredients
500gm pasta
1 1/2 cups full cream milk
2 tablespoons plain flour
2-3 cups grated cheese,
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder

  1. Cook the pasta till it's el dente. Drain and set aside.
  2. Warm 1 cup of the milk, and whisk the flour and rest of the milk in a separate bowl. When the milk on the stove is steaming, add the milk/flour mix and whisk till smooth and thick.
  3. Add the cheese and seasoning and continue to whisk. The sauce till become thick and creamy.
  4. Mix the sauce in with the pasta and enjoy!

We used cheddar, Parmesan, and colby cheese

Cook extraordinaire!  

Let the sauce and pasta combine!


Ta Da!



So overall it was pretty easy to make. Though I think next time I might make a roux for the base of the sauce, as the flour didn't quite cook off. We didn't have mustard powder, so made do with actual mustard. Next time I would add more salt, and get some actual mustard powder.  

Not sure what we're going to make next week, but stay tuned for more!

Love

J xx

No comments:

Post a Comment