Friday 31 May 2013

Hitchhikers (Not A Guide To The Galaxy)

Tonight whilst driving home, I saw a young lady standing on the side of the road. She couldn't have been older than 18, rugged up, with her right thumb pointing out, trying to hitch a ride.

I didn't have to be home at any particular time, nor did I have any important plans, so I did a U-turn, and went back to help her.

When I finally got through the peak hour traffic, she was gone. I don't know if someone actually helped her, or if she gave up. But I hope she is safe, where ever she is.

It got me to thinking though, am I the only one who isn't afraid to pick up hitchhikers?

I've picked up people before, and not once have I felt unsafe or uncomfortable. I've helped men and women, of all ages, at any time of the day or night. I had one girl cry. Not out of sadness, but because she was just so happy that someone stopped. Most hitchhikers are just regular people like you and I. They're just a little down on their luck, and need a little help.

I'd like to think that if I was stuck and had no way home, if I stood on the side of the road, with my thumb out, a kind stranger would help me.

Everyone needs a little help every now and then, and the world definitely needs more people with kindness in their heart.

Jayde xx

No comments:

Post a Comment