So, my advice for being organised?
- Pick your poison: I tried having a diary that a kept with me at all times, but I found I kept leaving it everywhere that I wasn't! Now I use my phone calendar (Samsung Galaxy S3, S Planner) and my big wall calendar at home. Try a few different ways, and pick what suits you best.
- Erase away: I write everything in pencil first. Having a version of your calendar that can be erased can be a life saver. No more throwing out bits of paper because you've written in pen and scribbled it out. I do it that way, because then I know when I'm definitely booked in (I've already bought tickets, sent my RSVP) and when I still need to confirm/decide. Pencil vs Pen.
- Add it now: As soon as you know you need to do something, or have been invited somewhere, write it in your diary/calendar now! There's nothing worse than promising someone you'll be somewhere, then 2 months later getting an upset call or text because you forgot all about it!
- Colours: Try colour coding. Work in blue, parties in red, family events in green etc. It gives you a good idea of what you've got planned, without having to look closely at the details. This works best on wall calendars because you can see multiple weeks/months at a time.
- If you're using a planner/diary, block out the time you'll be busy. There's nothing worse that trying to get from a meeting at work, to lunch with friends, when you don't give yourself any travel time. If you know your work meeting will take an hour, block out that full hour. It will give you a better idea of how much spare time you really have.