Thursday 13 June 2013

Sing Me A Song, It Won't Take Long

Karaoke.

To some it brings joy, to others it brings terror.

Japanese kara 空 "empty" and ōkesutora オーケストラ "orchestra".
Karaoke has been around for nearly as long as recording itself. It's a form of interactive entertainment where average people, like you and me, sing along with recorded music using a microphone. The music is can be whatever the singer feels like and is typically a well-known pop song. Lyrics are generally displayed on a video screen.

At my local pub, The Irish, they have karaoke every Wednesday night. My friends and I usually head over there for dinner and a couple of drinks, then enjoy the night of terrible and terrific local singers. None of us really get up there, unless strongly co erst by others. This was my dilemma last night.

My delightfully best friend Katrina, had requested I serenade her, with Soft Cell - Tainted Love.

So I did.

Standing on stage, my belly filled with liquid courage, the bright lights shining in my eyes, and the throbbing music surrounding me. I could just make out the crowds faces, all of them looking at me with high expectations. When the intro started, I could feel my hands go rigid, my butterfly's stopped flapping their jittery wings. "Sometimes I feel I've got to, Run away,  I've got to, Get away...."

By the end of the first verse, I was living large! Singing with all my heart, and loving every moment.

When the outro had finished, and the music became quiet, the applause began. And kept going. I'd like to say there is no bigger rush, than putting yourself out there and trying something scary.

I'm already practising for my song next week, even though its 6 days away.

Jayde xx


No comments:

Post a Comment